Please ensure that you use caution while on the property.
Note: The following article was originally posted on September 28, 2016.
Bears are naturally curious and they are attracted to food and garbage. Do not leave any kind of food or garbage behind. It is extremely important to put all garbage in safe containers and if possible, rinse out any containers of food.
Personal Safety Tips
If you come across a bear please remember the following:
• Make noise as you go, talk loudly or carry a stick
• Do not wear headphones
• Carry a mobile phone with you, and a whistle if possible
• Bring a dog with you but keep it on a leash
• Keep young children close to you
• Never approach or feed a bear
• Tell someone where you are going and how long you will be gone for
• Avoid secluded or isolated areas
• Avoid running or sudden movements
Lastly, remain calm. Face the bear, without making eye contact, and slowly back away.
The provincial Conservation Office Service handles all issues regarding bears. To report a bear sighting call 1-877-952-7277.